Office printers are critical components in any office, and when something goes wrong, your entire organization can suffer. If you’re having printer problems or error printing occurs, it’s important to understand how to fix some of the most common problems so you can eliminate frustration and keep your business running smoothly. Whether it’s a software or hardware issue, the team at Office Technologies is here to help troubleshoot the most common printer problems.
Your Computer Won’t Connect to the Printer
Probably the most common problem users encounter with an office printer is the connection between the printer and the computer. If connected through wifi, ensure the router is as close to the printer as possible. If that’s not possible, a wireless extender could help remedy the issue.
If you’re still having trouble connecting, there are a few other things you can do:
- Make sure the printer is plugged in and turned on.
- Restart the printer or your computer.
- Check that there are no error messages displayed on the printer.
- Contact an IT professional.
Printer Takes Too Long to Print
Even the most modern and up-to-date printers can take too long to print. Luckily, with a few changes, you can speed up the printing process. First, if you print mainly from general “office” applications, you should select a PCL driver rather than PostScript. A PostScript driver can be very slow. Next, you can try selecting draft or standard mode, which is a lower-quality printing setting. It’s also recommended to avoid double-sided printing, which can take up a significant amount of time. You should also check the network speed; if it takes a while to send a print task to the printer, it could be your network connectivity. If you’re sending files to the printer over wifi, ensure the signal is strong.
Frequent Paper Jams
Usually, your printer will let you know when there is a jam in the mechanism. To solve this, open the access panel and remove the obstruction. While occasional paper jams are typical, frequent jams signal a much larger problem. Here are several things to check:
- Ensure you are using the correct size paper and that it’s loaded in the proper tray.
- Check that the paper in the tray is straight and not crooked or overfilled.
- If you recently switched paper types, ensure it’s not too thick or thin for your printer.
- When was the last time you cleaned your printer? Completing simple printer maintenance tasks like wiping away dust or checking for loose toner can help your machine run more smoothly.
Running Low on Ink
Another common office printer problem is running low on ink. Most printers notify you immediately when ink levels are low, so you don’t have to worry about poor printing quality. Many newer models also have a feature where they will order ink automatically when levels drop to a certain point. These printers might be the best option if you often forget to reorder ink.
Poor Print Quality
If you’re frequently getting an error printing, like lines, spots, smudges, or marks on the paper, there are several steps you can take to address this:
- Try adjusting to a higher quality setting. Even though this might make your printing job take longer, it can eliminate unwanted marks from your print projects.
- Ensure the correct paper type is selected.
- If spots appear on your copy jobs, try cleaning smears on the glass above the copy reader.
- If marks appear on print and copy jobs, there could be an issue with your print drum, developer, or paper feeder, or the toner could be leaking.
If all else fails and an IT professional isn’t available to help you troubleshoot the issue, there is a handful of other things you can try to get your printer back up and running, including:
- Check the printer error lights
- Clear the printer queue
- Solidify the connection between printer and computer
- Ensure you choose the correct printer
- Download and install the proper drivers and software
- Check that there’s paper and ink
- Run a printer self-test
Printer Maintenance and Solutions by Office Technologies
Since 1992, Office Technologies has been an independent dealer in the imaging industry, supplying commercial organizations of all sizes across Southeastern Pennsylvania with office equipment, supplies, and printer repair and maintenance. If you’re looking for a company that can deliver the best possible solutions for your printing needs, contact us at 610-326-4700.